Converting a grade II school hall into a modern theatre
Southall | Theatretech
Convert and refurbish a grade II traditional hall into a modern theatre, complete with control room, and separate presentation and rehearsal areas.
Specific elements of the build
We worked with audio-visual consultancy, Theatretech to convert and refurbish this grade II traditional school hall into a modern theatre for pupils as well as for external hiring purposes. In addition to a modernised auditorium, we created a control room with viewing window, and helped the school maximise available space. The school now has extra areas for rehearsal and teaching, as well as a separate presentation / speaking platform.
We worked over the summer holidays and into the first part of the autumn term. Careful scheduling and on-site safety procedures meant we completed on schedule and didn’t disturb the working life of the school in any way.
Our work comprised the following elements:
- Extended the stage to create a day-to-day presentation area.
- Created a rehearsal room, closed off by sliding panels.
- Refurbished the area under the stage for use as a separate sound-proofed teaching area.
- Built new stairs down either side of the new retractable seating.
- Constructed a control room with a viewing window into the auditorium and stage.
- Refreshed the original wooden panelling, and decorated throughout.